Arminian Today

A Gospel Centered Arminian Blog

Another Reason For The Rise in Calvinism

Francis Chan noted that today’s preachers are better speakers in his estimation than in years go by mainly because modern preachers have the advantage of iPods and downloading thousands of sermons that they can both copy and learn from.  I would agree somewhat.  I don’t know if I’m prepared to say that modern preachers are better than preachers of the past mainly because of the content.  I see little sound doctrine coming out these days from new churches.  Many are building new churches based on methodology and not upon the foundation of Scripture.

Yet this also got me to thinking about the rise in Calvinism among the “young, restless, and reformed” crowd.  When I was in college in the 1990’s, Calvinism was very popular.  I, being an Arminian, was clearly an outsider at my college.  Some even branded me as a heretic for my Arminian views.  Calvinism, in those days, was popular because of just a few preachers including R.C. Sproul, John MacArthur, John Piper, and a few of our college professors.  But the spread of Calvinism had not reached its pinnacle.  That was to come with the dawning of the Internet.

The Calvinists websites are impressive.  Have you looked at The Gospel Coalition or Monergism.com?  Have you considered Ligonier or Grace To You?  These sites are all impressive to say the least.  They also are full of Calvinism.  No doubt they do promote much good and the gospel of Christ goes forth in many of them so I am thankful for them.  I do not pray condemnation upon them but God’s blessing.  However, I do oppose their Calvinism.  I certainly believe that their Calvinism is not biblical though they would completely disagree.

My point in this is to spur Arminians out there onward in building solid websites that would promote Arminianism.  We have the Society of Evangelical Arminians site which is moving along promoting sound Arminianism.  I do recommend the SEA site. I am no web designer but I do think the SEA site is not as solid in look as the Calvinist sites above.  I feel this will change in time.  It has been said that Arminianism is a moving faith in that Arminians are too busy seeking to evangelize the world to sit down and promote their thoughts in books or on the Internet.  That may sound godly but I believe that Arminians need to be excellent in our promotion of Arminianism and honest in giving our views.

That said, you can find many good Arminian blogs out there and most are better than mine.  You can several links on this site for solid Arminian blogs.  I praise God for them.

About these ads

Written by The Seeking Disciple

01/18/2012 at 10:49 AM

14 Responses

1. I think another reason for the wide spread of Calvinism is that a lot of Calvinist give theor material out for free. See John Pipers free books ans sermons, John MacArthurs bunch of free sermons ans so on.

JNj.

01/18/2012 at 11:58 AM

• I agree and I download their sermons a good bit. I enjoy some Calvinist preaching until they begin to address Calvinism and Arminianism and then they often ignore Scripture to favor their Calvinism.

2. It is said that when martin Luther read Calvin’s reply to the Roman Catholic bishop Sadoleto (who was trying to woo the Genevans back to the Roman Church), anyway, when Luther Calvin’s reply he said “Here is a writing with hands and feet.” Maybe people are tired of human exaltation and lesser theologies and are searching for a theology with “hands and feet.” Calvinism is a theology where humans are human and God is God. Maybe as people are reading their bibles they are finding that calvinism resonates with what they are reading. And maybe that partly explains it’s rising popularity.

John Sneed

01/18/2012 at 1:27 PM

• Perhaps. Perhaps when they stay in Calvinism long enough they will then see its errors and come out as so many Arminians have though I am not in that group.

• I love scripture. I love the word of God. I love Reformed Theology. I love people who “write with hands and feet”.

Acidri

02/03/2012 at 7:51 AM

3. “Francis Chan noted that today’s preachers are better speakers in his estimation than in years go by mainly because modern preachers have the advantage of iPods and downloading thousands of sermons that they can both copy and learn from”.

What a scary suggestion! Preachers copying and learning from the sermons of others?
    An advantage?

From personal expererience in the past that can cause more problems than advanatages. I amassed an impressive arsenal of bible quotes to use in support of my (then) favoured theology. I learned all of those quotes from the preaching I was listening to – and therefore understoood the quotes according to the context of the preachers ideas instead of their intended scriptural context.

I even recycled sermons I liked from my favoured teachers and preached them myself.

I see exactly the same kind of parroting of prooftexts and ideas in so much of the “theological” discussion I read today.
    The interaction I’ve had with Calvinists usually sees the quoting of the same old texts to argue their point – and apart form the obvious Romans 9 etc, some of them are quite obscure and quoted for equally obscure reasons. They have CLEARLY been picked up from other Calvinist source and have been presented with a clearly Calvinist spin that has no relationship at all with actual biblical context.

Yes, things like the internet and easy access to sermons DOES make it easier for things like Calvinism (and other isms) to be spread.
    Its sad that SCRIPTURE has not been allowed to have the same infleunce during the centuries its been easily available to those who want to take what it says seriously enough to find out for themselves; instead of being satisfied to be told by others what the bible says and means.

Onesimus (Tim)

01/18/2012 at 6:46 PM

• Good points. The Chan quote came from a video of him. He said younger preachers are better than he was when he was younger. Perhaps true if him but I believe each Bible teacher should be Spirit taught and trained.

Sent from my iPhone

4. There are not many Calvinists in the 3D real world, so they gathered on the internet for company and fellowship. Unfortunately, it gives atheists and agnostics the idea that most Christians are Calvinists.

Most of us can’t spell it or define it — I certainly couldn’t until a couple of years ago.

I notice that you did not mention Pyromaniacs. That blog is enough to put you off Calvinism for good.

Anthea

01/18/2012 at 11:34 PM

5. The foundation of Arminianism is that God has decided,in His Sovereignty, to give up some of His Sovereignty to them. This explains how they are in control of their destiny and how they control God’s distribution and efficacy of His saving grace. A pleasant doctrine for sinners indeed.

truthurts

02/18/2012 at 4:47 PM

• Brother Majors, been missing you.

• The foundation of the true gospel is that God has decided in His sovereignty to enable man to exercise sufficient choice to ensure Jesus has a willing and loving bride and not a manipulated “Stepford Wife”.

God and God alone has chosen to extend His grace to all mankind so that His salvation can be received by all who exercise their God given freedom to place their faith in Him.

Of course some would claim that the ability to exercise faith for salvation would mean a salvation obtained by works – but that idea relies on the erroneous Calvinist view of faith which turns faith into a work, but scripture NEVER defines faith as a work, it always contrasts faith with works.
        Doctrine needs to be determined by SCRIPTURAL viewpoints and scriptural definitions and not according to definitions tailored to suit man’s theology.

Where in scripture is faith EVER described in terms of being a vain work of man that would in any way support the Calvinist argument.

Onesimus

02/19/2012 at 5:18 PM

6. Take a trip to Saudi Arabia or Iran and start handing out your free will tracks,and keep us informed of your great success.

truthurts

02/20/2012 at 10:48 AM

• God has given mankind sufficent “free will” to achieve His purpose of obtaining a willing and loving bride for His Son.

He has has not given us a magical ability to do whatever we choose to do that may be contrary to law, whether national law (your scenario) or natural law ( such as defying gravity by “choosing” to fly).

Onesimus

02/20/2012 at 4:10 PM

Comments are closed.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 604 other followers